Did you know? Humans aren’t the only creatures that enjoy or can benefit from the cannabis plant. Animals, including your furry best friends, can experience better health when their diets are supplemented with a component called CBD. Keep reading to learn more about CBD and how to make CBD-infused treats for your dog.
What is CBD?
To start, what is CBD? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a component of the Cannabis sativa plant. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), it does not produce psychedelic effects. This is why kids and animals alike can ingest it and/or use it topically.
So far, over100 peer-reviewed studies prove CBD to be beneficial for a variety of ailments. They include asthma, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, dementia, skin conditions, and more. CBD also helps to alleviate nausea, anxiety, and depression. This is because it supports the body’s transition from a sympathetic state (“flight or fight” mode) into a parasympathetic (rested, calm) state.
How CBD Helps Dogs
Dogs are prime candidates for CBD therapy. This is because your canine friend can develop anxiety when you are away at work and they are left in an enclosed territory. He/she is also more sensitive to sounds, sights, and smells, so CBD can help to calm their nervous system. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that they might be overloaded by the fast-paced, man-ruled world.
Dogs, like humans, are developing diseases of affluence at an increasing pace, just like their humans. And, it makes sense… Most humans give their furry friends leftover scraps of food high in preservatives made from low-quality, filer ingredients. Fortunately, CBD can help.
A Healthy Diet Supplemented with CBD
If you seek to help your dog thrive, switch them to a healthy, organic diet and consider adding CBD to their regime. In order to accomplish the latter, consider making these CBD-infused dog treats. They’re vegetarian and are tasty enough you might even snack on one — or two.
Healthy CBD-Infused Dog Treats [Vegetarian]
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 24 treats
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 apple, cored and grated
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- dash of sea salt
- 120 mg CBD oil*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a dog cookie baking tray with coconut oil.
- Core and grate the apples, then peel and grate the carrots.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, oats, and coconut sugar together. In another medium-sized bowl, beat the egg. Then, add coconut oil, water, and grated apples and carrots.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients bowl; mix completely. Finally, add CBD oil and mix once more.
- Using a Tbsp measuring spoon, portion out the dog biscuits and press into the dog treat baking pan. Bake 32-37 minutes or until the biscuits are firm and golden-brown on the outside.
- Store in an air-tight container. Treat your pups whenever possible!
- The amount of dog treats this recipe makes will vary depending on the size of the dog treat mold you are using.
- Aim to make each treat between 2-5 mg of CBD.
And voila! CBD-infused dog treats.
If you liked this recipe/article, please share it with friends and family members. When you pass along My Stoned Kitchen’s content, you play an active role in helping to build our brand. Thank you!
This article (How to Make CBD-Infused Dog Treats) is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and My-Stoned-Kitchen.com